Tuesday, September 15, 2009

For Jonas, I Didn't Know My Own Strength


I Didn't Know My Own Strength

A comment that posted on this blog compelled me to examine how the memories of my life might be viewed by others.  Jonas made a rather astute observation, a mixture of joy and sadness.  I think most of our lives have this mixture but what contributes to some of the sadness are the things we have to endure that we should not have to endure.  The key, for me, is not letting the sadness overtake the joy.

My generation has lived through much--from a lack of voting rights to the presidency of the United States.  I think we have a story to tell because we are a living respository of history.  I hope that seeing how one family made the journey can put a face on historical facts because we've seen and lived through more than what the history books tell.  We can't sugarcoat it.  It was difficult but inspiring.  We want you to know the highs and lows, the peaks and the valleys, but I also think it is a story also of a redemption of our country.
Restraints and low expectations that are placed on us contribute to the sadness.  Friendship, family, and faith help joy to flourish.
My Strength
My Immediate Family - 2007
In the fifties, continued resistance to oppression helped to subdue some of the sadness.  Thank God for people like Martin Luther King, Jr.
This morning I heard Whitney sing her new song on Oprah and I think it helps me explain how I dealt with some of the pain.  Thanks to the writer of these lyrics, Diane Warren, and the producer, David Foster.
I didn’t know my own strength
And I crashed down, and I tumbled
But I did not crumble
I got through all the pain
I didn't know my own strength

I guess I really didn't know my own strength.  We survive because of that strength.
We have a saying in the Black community, Black don't crack and I heard it in the song.
My faith kept me alive
I picked myself back up
Hold my head up high
I was not built to break
Thanks, Whitney, you made my day with this song and I wish you well.  You've been to the abyss and you're finding your way out.  
Found hope in my heart,
I found the light to life
My way out the dark
Found all that I need
Here inside of me

Jonas, thank you.  I needed that comment to help me put everything in perspective.  I started this blog for that reason and you saw something I needed to see.
Found hope in my heart,
I found the light to life
My way out the dark
Found all that I need
Here inside of me

As we said in the sixties, peace and love. 

2 comments:

  1. Blogging can be so inspiring. Especially yours, Christella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honored to find that a comment of mine inspired a blog entry, Christella. What pleases me FAR more is to read that you gleaned fresh perspective about your own strengths, resilience and joys.

    ReplyDelete