Monday, November 2, 2009

Days with my Sister

My sister had a good trip.  She wanted the trip because a few months ago they removed part of her lung.  Lung cancer. She will know about chemo when she returns to Chicago.



Shirley, Sister Mary, and Lorraine (My right hand)


Because a Keno game has only twelve cards and I had two other guests, she played in my place and won the final coverall.   It was all of $11.00 but that is the largest pot we've ever had.  You would think that she had won a million dollars.


The Keno Club
We call ourselves The Forgettables because no one remembers anything. I'm on the far right. Without friends, old age must be unbearable.

We didn't grow up in an affectionate family.  Hugging and kissing were not something we saw or did.  Our feelings were kept under wrap, only discussed in our heads.  She is the sister who helped me through college.

Even though I had a scholarship I still needed pocket money to buy necessities, such as toothpaste. In 1953, at the age of 18, she earned $1.07 an hour and sent me $5.00 cash each week, enough to get me through.  I didn't realize it at the time but she worked almost a full day just for me.

Sometimes another sister would send a few dollars and I was grateful for every cent. What memories surface when we're together, many are in earlier sections of this blog.

We shared a bed when we were children. She was the beautiful, popular sister and I was the skinny nerd.  I was such a nerd that I started a Trigonometry Club and was President.  Two people so different could not have been closer. She always had scores of boyfriends but I was lucky if I had one at a time.

When we moved from Chicago in 1970, I made my husband promise me that he would not fuss about the telephone bill because it was imperative that I always have access to her.

We're old now. She's 75 and I'm 72. Where did the years go?  I still think of us as silly children sharing our thoughts and dreams.  She wanted the glamourous life of a movie star and I was interested in academics. She's the only person who knows my deep dark secrets and yes, Jonas, my regrets.

This is rambling because I'm still processing the past and how it affects the future. I'm processing.

I guess my point is just love each other.  Show affection.  The end comes before we know it.

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree. My family was the same way, loving, but not affectionate, so when I had kids, we were just the opposite. My eldest sister's family is affectionate, too. Funny, huh? We live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't think this was rambling. It made perfect sense to me. My sister is 5 years younger than I am, and no friend could ever come close to how we feel about each other. I hope we still feel that way when we are 75.

    You commented on my blog about having to slow down sometimes, so tonight, I am spending just one quick hour on blogging, and then I'll be watching Monday night shows with my hubbie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm still processing the past and how it affects the future. I'm processing."

    So am I, Christella. As we grow old and older, there's so much more to process, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, There is so much to process, Jonas. Flory, enjoy your down town. Janie, yes we live and learn.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm learning to cherish my family more, and not be so self-indulged.

    Thank you for your great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect timing for me because my sister from Michigan just left after staying with me for several days. It was difficult because she flies in (sometimes I think it is on her broomstick), stirs things up, and then flies home. We are in a dilemma about what to do with my 95-year-old mother, who is in the early stages of dementia and is becoming increasingly difficult for me to care for. It's a challenge and so far, I have not lost 'my cool' with my sister and would like to keep it that way. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing family you have! You are very fortunate but then again I believe you have made your own fortune.

    ReplyDelete