Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ten Things That Make Me Happy - Tagged

And now, I will tag ten other blogs to do this happiness post!  


When I read that statement from the blog, When a Woman Shakes Her Tablecloth, I was puzzled about what I would write. Reading her list I knew that it doesn't take BIG things to make me happy, if you don't count winning the lottery.  We are not rich people with money, we're rich in other ways, but I often tell my husband how happy we were when we had NOTHING.


TEN THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY!


1.  Someone with a baby.  I'm just happy it's not me. Of course it would get me some needed money since I'm over seventy.


2.  The look on a child's face when he or she finally "gets it."  Love that "light bulb" moment.



3.  Hearing from someone, or seeing someone I haven't seen in a long time, who remembers and reminiscences about a  special moment we shared.


4.  World War II movies and books, which is strange because I hate war. I used the movie, Twelve O'Clock High, to demonstrate leadership styles when I was conducting leadership workshops.


5.  Conquering a new recipe and adding my own touches.  I always try it just as written the first time.  Then I begin to make additions or subtractions until it is ready to serve my bridge club.  They are good cooks and I have to be at the top of my game.


6.  Meeting new people and hearing their stories. I believe that everyone has a compelling story. I think that's why I like reading blogs; you can learn something from everyone you meet.  


For example, we went to a jazz club with another couple and I saw an attractive woman, sitting alone with her eyes closed, singing quietly along with the band, while she tapped her fingers to the beat of the drums. She exuded glamour and loneliness yet I could visualize an intriguing past. The couple we were with, and my husband, thought I was crazy when I left them, walked over to her table, introduced myself, and stated that she looked like she had a riveting story to tell. "Please tell me your story." I said. "I want to hear it."  She stared at me for a little while, invited me to have a seat, and proceeded to tell me her story.  She was the first wife of Sammy Davis, Jr., and what a story she told about an "arranged marriage." 
Loray White, Wife of Sammy Davis, Jr Seeks Divorce - Jet Magazine, October 2, 1958 by vieilles_annonces.


7.  Star Trek. I'm a Trekkie, I watch reruns, wear Bajoran earrings, and read the The Physics of Star Trek


8.  A beautiful sunset over the mountains.  I don't see many sunrises because I don't get up early, but a sunset with breathtaking, muted colors is so calming.


9. My friends. I have some of the best friends in the world, even the ones as crazy as me.  Couldn't make it without them.  


10.  Last, but not least, my family.  They make me happy because they have allowed an eccentric woman, (sounds better than crazy) to do a lot of spontaneous (sounds better than impulsive) things and still support me, even when I'm wrong, which happens more than I would like to admit.


This list could grow, but I'll stop (except to add milk chocolate peanut clusters because I can eat one pound in one sitting and how having an iphone would make me happy, I think) and tag others.  


Get ready, you're tagged.
The K is no longer silent
b. vikki vintage
Chocolate covered daydreams 
Peeling an orange with a screwdriver
At Twilight
A Fabulously Good Life
Fifty and Still Figuring it Out...
A Woman's Life Stages

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Christella. I need to think about happy things right now. I've had 2 very trying days with my soon-to-be-96-year-old mother. It's late here in SLC, but I'll get on it first thing in the morning - and I look forward to reading the other 9 blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Christella, you've challenged this addled brain of mine! So much to consider...so many reveries!

    OK. I'll take a stab at this. Here goes (in no particular order):

    Riding my motorcycle along the Pacific Coast Highway at dusk

    Feeling fingertips delicately trace the length of my spine

    Playing drums to a song titled “Southside” with my band

    Reveries of three most special kisses

    Memories of fishing with my Father

    Strolling the streets of Paris

    Hearing my friends laugh

    Running through a forest on a crisp autumn day

    Hair caressing my shoulders or blowing in the wind

    My cat waking me at dawn by licking my eyelashes

    But, of course, you know there's more. So much more! I've barely scratched the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for thinking of me. I'm looking forward to answering this. But first, I'm heading off to a good night's rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I'll get right on this tomorrow! Thanks for including me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! I can certainly relate to children's light bulb moments, sunsets, and Star Trek. (I'm a Trekkie too.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably said this before, but I love coming over to read your blog. Your stories, and your writing always make me reflect on my feelings.

    I love your list. I hope I can come up with some good stuff. :)

    Take care Christella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone who played along. It was helpful to list 10 things that make us happy.

    Jonas, your list is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christella, I came your way after reading Saranne's list of ten. I absolutely agree with your #6 and enjoyed the story that went with it. Great intuition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Blog by Christella indicating that I had been tagged by her Blog 10 Things That Make Me Happy stuck a chord with me. At 77 years old there are some things that still make me HAPPY.

    1. Seeing a young mother and father with their children having fun. It brings back pleasant memories of the joy we had as young parents.

    2. Seeing grandparents with their young grandchildren reminds me of the fun we had with our grandchildren when they came to Michigan to visit with us or we went to Atlanta to visit with them.

    3. Writing, GRANDPA REMEMBERS, a book that was shared with our grandchildren. The book shared with the children sayings that my parents gave to me and my brothers when we were growing up.

    4. To hear the grandchildren state some of the sayings in Grandpa Remembers as they attempted to demonstrate that they understood that the world did not revolve around them.

    5. To have lived long enough to see our grandchildren become young adults living productive and independent lives.

    6. To have lived long enough to see diamonds in the rough, former students, and employees making their mark in the workplace.

    7. To see nieces and nephews and even grand nieces and nephews making their marks in life.

    8. to see Chris through her blog and Art by Christella being encouraged to develop the artist expressions that she has until now not realized or accepted that she has.

    9. To see once young colleagues continuing their work that was started during our time when we were working together.

    10. to see the projects that Chris and I started with South African institutions still going strong and growing even stronger.

    The greatest happiness comes from the fact that after 55 years our family is still in tact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This Ozarks Farm chick used to tell her students that I wasn't crazy I was just unique. Heeeheehe! I thought it sounded better than crazy too! I enjoyed reading your list, I bet ya'll have many interesting stories to tell too!

    From the hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa, ya'll have a wonderfully blessed weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great list!! Thanks for participating in my meme! The "lightbulb" moment is great, isn't it?

    My mom is a Trekkie, too!

    And, I am so jealous that you met Jon Bon Jovi! You must tell me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this post. I suppose it's impossible to trace a chain such as this to it's very beginning but the chain starts with you as far as I can read. I have been reading lists you set in motion [and writing my own] and that has made me happy. Sparking the awareness of happiness is a wonderful thing. A beautiful start to a Sunday morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christella - See what a glorious thing you set in motion!!... It has had quite the snowballing effect. You have been the instigator of much joy awareness.
    I remember seeing that picture of Sammy Jr.'s first wife in "Yes I Can" and thinking how lovely she looked. Anyway, that was so interesting to read about how you followed your intuition away from your table and over to hers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for sharing your happiness :)

    best wishes
    Ribbon

    ReplyDelete